Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.

Sep. 14: Brandi Carlile gives up the ghost

Ir para baixo

Sep. 14: Brandi Carlile gives up the ghost Empty Sep. 14: Brandi Carlile gives up the ghost

Mensagem por BlueSkydream Ter 15 Set - 8:49

Sep. 14: Brandi Carlile gives up the ghost

Jason Gonulsen
Special to Metromix

I could write all day about Brandi Carlile and still not be able to tell you how special of a talent she is. If you've seen her live, maybe you already know what I'm talking about. Or, if you've simply listened to her albums, perhaps you have an idea. But, there's something about her voice—which has endless range—and her smart lyrics that set her above the rest. And in a live setting, along with her band, she'll make you want to see her again and again.

And throughout her career, she's played St. Louis again and again.

"I think I've played The Pageant six times, or something crazy like that," she says over the phone while in Boulder, just before soundcheck. "You know what, The Pageant is an excellent place to play, the people who work there are killer. The sound system is great, the stage is huge, it's so fun."

For this tour, she'll be performing at The Pageant ($20-25) before her next album, 'Give Up the Ghost,' is available (it'll be released on Oct. 6). It might seem like an odd way to introduce her new tunes to her fans, but for Carlile, it makes a whole lot of sense.

"We're such a live band at heart, that's how we've always cultivated new material—is on the road," Carlile explains. "The songs write themselves in front of an audience. It's not about what an audience's reaction is when you play a new song, it's about how you feel when you're playing it for them. It determines whether maybe it's too rock, or maybe it needs to be faster or slower...maybe the words aren't profound enough. But in front of people that you care about, you feel more compelled."

One of the new songs, "That Year," was written about a friend who committed suicide, a personal tune that some live performers would not always feel comfortable singing before a live audience. Again, Carlile doesn't see it that way.

"It's how I exist in the world—I work things out in front of an audience," she says. "I work things out by playing music. When I play that one live, I know there is a purpose to me doing it. I can get lost in it, but still have control over what I'm doing."

What Carlile also has control over is her set lists, which are never set in stone.

"I constantly change it. I call the set list—at the beginning of a show—I call it a wish list," she says with a laugh. "When I get out in front of an audience, it's such an interactive experience, it determines everything. If you feel like an audience just really wants to listen, and they want to be moved, then you may play a few more ballads. If you feel that they really want to have some rock 'n' roll, you might cut the ballads out."

And just so you know, she's listening to those requests you shout out.

"People yell out requests, and often times we'll just play them," she says. "Set lists are such a funny thing—you can't know what the audience wants until you're out there in it. You just try things. The truth is, they want to love you, and they want to have a good time with you. I never assume that I'm playing to an audience; we're always playing with an audience, and that's what makes our shows so much fun."

If you love Brandi Carlile, she'll love you back. So, please show her some love on Tuesday night.

If you're going to the show, don't forget to Dine Out for Farm Aid beforehand!

Posted by Jason Gonulsen on Sunday, September 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM

_________

http://stlouis.metromix.com/music/blog_post/sep-14-brandi-carlile/1460680/content
BlueSkydream
BlueSkydream

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Ir para o topo