Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.

Brandi's Reflections on Give Up The Ghost

Ir para baixo

Brandi's Reflections on Give Up The Ghost Empty Brandi's Reflections on Give Up The Ghost

Mensagem por BlueSkydream Sáb 22 Ago - 9:46

A Brandi deixou no seu MySpace a seguinte "reflexão" sobre o novo álbum

Brandi's Reflections on Give Up The Ghost

Hello friends,

I just wanted to send out a message about our new album Give Up The Ghost.

It's been a totally unique experience for us. As some of you know, we recorded The Story in under two weeks, where as this record took more than a year. They say that it takes you your whole life to write your first record and then you have to write your second in a matter of months.

Well if this is so then to give up the ghost is to make a transition from one life to the next and transcend time in order to grow. This is to say that the songs on this record are time travelers instead of glimpses into the present and onto the road.

Me and the twins recorded live and to tape again (as long as it's here we'll use it). We used some of our classic junky old instruments and almost all of the acoustic guitar is recorded with old archtops from the 40's and 50's. We went really brave on the background vocals and the twins are loud and proud this time around. Phil played a guitar solo and Tim played percussion. I played the banjo (badly) and a lot of piano. Josh's cello is ever-present and beautiful. Victor Indrizzo and Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) played drums. It was really cool because Victor is this delicate and tasteful drummer. He's great with brushes and detail and Chad is a mind-blowing rock drummer, super solid and masterful (Phil was terrified to play with him because he's not as good as Flea.) So we switched them around with Chad on the delicate songs like "That Year" and "I Will" etc... while Victor played the rock tunes. The result is refreshing and special. Those guys made us better for having played with them.

A personal dream of mine since I was a teenager was realized on this record with a string arrangement by Paul Buckmaster. Paul was the arranger on the early Elton John records that influenced me so much (Tumbleweed, Mad Man). He wrote a timeless, beautiful arrangement for "Pride And Joy." He also cooked me two meals while teaching me about string theory, the speed of light and his disdain for Newton. It was a great day when we watched him conduct the string session. I had his picture on my wall when I was 12.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that we actually did a duet with the man himself, Elton John. He was even more astounding than I expected if you can believe it. He gave the song "Caroline" its depth and schooled me on music, even sending me over 100 records. Never been so inspired.

We had quite a few special guests come in and lend a hand, including my dearest friend Amy Ray, who sang live in the booth with me on "Looking Out." And laughed real hard when I hit a bad note. Tim and Phil even got to jam with Pete Thomas from The Attractions.

It was hard to stay in LA because big cities and relentless sunshine make me feel lonely. I tried yoga...thought it was weird but I'll try it again. I tried sushi...thought it was weird but I'll try it again. And we all got a tennis lesson from a Porsche driving middle-aged divorcee who told us to pretend he was a tiger and we were his prey...won't try that again.

Me and the twins could not be more pleased with how our record turned out. Everyone involved played a part in bringing it to life. Wow it's a terrifying thing to finish a record and know that it's in the world. I can't lie, this record like everything real, has come with real struggle. It was intense and we grew musically, and closer as a band. We're more than happy in our new space. This record breathes life into our art and forces us to leave ourselves behind...to give up the ghost.!

Brandi

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=16526200&blogId=506020219
BlueSkydream
BlueSkydream

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Ir para o topo