Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.

The Artists of Lilith Fair Series: Brandi Carlile Exclusive

Ir para baixo

The Artists of Lilith Fair Series: Brandi Carlile Exclusive Empty The Artists of Lilith Fair Series: Brandi Carlile Exclusive

Mensagem por BlueSkydream Qua 30 Jun - 9:22

The Artists of Lilith Fair Series: Brandi Carlile Exclusive

by Sarah Toce | Article Date: 06/29/2010

On a quick break from her hectic tour schedule, Washington state-born singer/songwriter Brandi Carlile took some time to chat with me about her role in this summer’s Lilith Fair, crossing paths with music masterminds Sarah McLachlan and Sheryl Crow and how she plans to give back to those 17 year olds strumming on their guitars looking to start a band.

Carlile’s agile demeanor appears uninhibited, determined and well-rounded with an even mix of street smart capability and naiveté. Not one to shy away from any question in confrontation (including sexuality, being recognized and her close relationship to the Indigo Girls’ Amy Ray and Emily Saliers), Carlile exudes an effortless grin to accompany recollections pertaining to her hardships and successes. Beloved around the globe, the songstress shows no signs of slowing down and her fans are nothing short of intoxicated by the very thought.

SheWired: How did you get involved with Lilith Fair?

Brandi Carlile: Well, as soon as I found out that it was going to happen, I sort of started plotting to be involved. It was such a pivotal part of my life [the original Lilith Fair]. I had to be involved somehow. I used to go to every show near my hometown.

You have to knock down doors in this business! Which cities will you play this summer?

I will tell you right now [looking up her schedule]. I will be playing in San Diego, Phoenix, L.A. and then I’m playing in, I think, Birmingham, Austin, Houston and Dallas.

Okay, last time I talked to you, you were very busy and now you’re even busier if that’s even possible! What was it like for you as a fan at the last Lilith Fair?

I live in Washington State, so Lilith was at a place called The Gorge out here. I went to every Lilith Fair at The Gorge. Even when they would play for two nights, I would go both nights. I’d camp out, bring my guitar and everything. I mean, it was a huge part of being a teenager for me.

Now you get to be on the stage and switching roles. It’s got to be surreal for you.

Yes, it is surreal. Absolutely. It’s insane. It’s absolutely amazing.

Do you know the artists on your Lilith Fair roster yet?

I don’t know yet. I know I’m going to cross paths with Sheryl Crow and Sarah McLachlan. Those guys were such a big part of the original Lilith. That was where I saw Sheryl Crow for the first time. I mean, Globe Sessions had just come out and I remember seeing Sheryl walking out with her band. I just thought that she was totally incredible and bad-ass. I remember thinking, “I need to get myself a band”. I remember being influenced by that and wanting to have a band because of Sheryl Crow at Lilith Fair. Also, sort of around the same time, I remember feeling that way about Amy Ray when she played her solo shows at the Showbox in Seattle.

Are you out on the road around your Lilith dates?

I’m in the middle of tours full-time. I will have finished a tour and come up the west coast about three or four days before the San Diego tour so I’ll fly back down and meet them up. Right now, I’m at home on a break. I’m supposed to be in Europe, but the entire European tour got cancelled because of the volcano. We’ve rescheduled the dates for the fall.

Good, so you’re taking a break! I am all about advocating time off for you because I see you play all the time in Seattle and just know you have got to be exhausted from all of the traveling! You’re from the Seattle-area and we’re all so proud of you.

[Laughs] Well, I am clinging to the last days of my twenties and trying to seize the day!

What last thought would you like to leave with your fans regarding your involvement with Lilith Fair?

Just that I am so grateful to be a part of something that was such a women’s movement in music and influenced me and an entire generation of artists like me. It showed us that women can congregate to sell tickets and records and that we won’t take a back seat in music anymore. That was a very big movement for people my age to see when we were 17 years old. I hope that there are a lot of 17 year olds at the Lilith Fair coming up.

There may be a lot of 17 year olds out there with their suitcases looking for a band.

There will be a lot. If I see any of them, I’ll throw some coins in their case.

http://www.shewired.com/Article.cfm?ArticlePage=1&ID=25215
BlueSkydream
BlueSkydream

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Ir para o topo